Fiancé Visas

On this page:


The fiancé K-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé of a United States (U.S.) citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. The foreign-citizen will then apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident (LPR) with the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Because a fiancé visa permits the holder to immigrate to the U.S. and marry a U.S. citizen shortly after arrival in the United States, the fiancé(e) must meet some of the requirements of an immigrant visa. Eligible children of K-1 visa applicants receive K-2 visas.


The U.S. citizen sponsor must file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox. Further information is available on the USCIS website under Fiancé Visas. Note: Form I-129F cannot be filed at a U.S. Embassy, Consulate, or USCIS office abroad.

After USCIS approves the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing, and NVC will send it to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your fiancé will apply for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa.

U.S. Consulate General Appointment

Once the U.S. Consulate General receives the petition from NVC, the IV Section will send a letter to the applicant with instructions on preparing for the visa interview.

K visa applicants must complete DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application on-line at this website and return completed Form DS- 2001 to the Consulate. Upon receipt of the form, the Immigrant Visa Section will schedule the visa appointment.

Fee Payment

Each applicant for a K-1 or K-2 visa must pay the non-refundable visa fee of HK$ 2,120. The fees can be paid at any 7-11 shops or online payment with a Credit Card or Debit Card (Check/Bank Card) in Hong Kong or Macau; however, you must first obtain a proper pay statement which can be done on-line at or through our call center (+852 5808 4666). Applicants should be sure to identify themselves as "K" visa applicants.

More information

For more information on fiancé visas, please visit the State Department's website