Immigrant Visa Applicants from Denmark and Norway

On this page:


Upon receipt of an interview appointment date from National Visa Center (NVC), Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) or the Immigrant Visa unit in Stockholm, please register your appointment in the calendar of the Immigrant Visa Unit in Stockholm.

All immigrant visa-, diversity visa- and K-visa interviews and adjudications for residents of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden take place at the


Below are the answers to frequently asked questions regarding this process:

Q: How many times will I have to travel to Stockholm to complete my immigrant, K-visa or diversity visa processing?

A: Most cases will only require one trip to Embassy Stockholm. This trip will be for the visa interview.

Q: I know I need to visit an approved Panel Physician as part of my immigrant or diversity visa application. Must I visit the physician in Sweden?

A: Residents of Denmark and Norway may visit the panel physicians located in their home countries. The U.S. Embassy in Stockholm will accept results from these visits. Residents of Sweden will continue to visit the physicians in Sweden.

Q: I no longer live in Denmark, Sweden or Norway. How do I schedule an Immigrant Visa appointment in the country where I now live?

A: As part of the standard immigrant visa process, the National Visa Center will coordinate with you to schedule your interview appointment at the appropriate post (now Stockholm) upon receiving your immigrant visa application and supporting paperwork. Similarly for diversity visa applicants, your case interview will be scheduled by the Kentucky Consular Center as part of the standard diversity visa process. If you wish to interview for your immigrant or diversity visa at another immigrant visa processing post besides Stockholm, you may make the request to the National Visa Center or the Kentucky Consular Center, respectively, prior to the time your appointment is scheduled in Stockholm.

Q: In which language will be held my interview?

A: Immigrant visa interviews are only held in English.

Q: My documents are in Swedish/ Norwegian/ Danish. Do I need to translate them?

A: Yes. All documents not in English must be accompanied by certified translations.

Q: How will I get my passport and visa back from Embassy Stockholm after my visa is issued?

A:Passports and documents will be returned to applicants via provided waybill.

Q: I’d like to obtain a transportation boarding foil because I lost my green card. Must I travel to Stockholm for this service?

A: No, this service is carried out by the Embassies in Oslo or Copenhagen.

Q: I’d like to apply as a follow-to-join refugees or asylum. Must I travel to Stockholm for these services?

A: Yes, this service are only carried out by U.S. Embassy Stockholm

Q: I’d like to file an application for returning resident status or seek to file an I-130 based on exceptional circumstances. Must I travel to Stockholm for these services?

A: The initial request will be carried out by the Embassies in Oslo or Copenhagen. Any approved petition will be forwarded to the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm.

Q: I’d like to voluntarily abandon my U.S. lawful permanent residence status by completing form I-407. Where do I send the form?

A: Starting July 1, 2019, individuals who wish to file the I-407 – Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residency should send their I-407’s directly to the USCIS Eastern Forms Center in Williston, Vermont.

The Form I-407 will no longer be accepted by international field offices.

Individuals submitting the I-407 to the Eastern Forms Center must include their Permanent Resident Card (I-551 green card), if available, along with any other travel documents issued by USCIS.  Individuals should not turn in identity documents that were not issued by USCIS.  Additional filing information is available on

 The Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, should be mailed to the following address:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
Post Office Box 567
Williston, VT 05495

Q: How do I contact the National Visa Center (NVC)?

A: The National Visa Center can be reached by email at and by phone at 603-334-0700. Please make sure to provide all required information in order to ensure a prompt reply:

Q: How do I contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC)?

A: The Kentucky Consular Center can be reached by email at and by phone at 606-526-7500.

Q: I still have unanswered questions regarding the Immigrant Visa application process in Stockholm. Who can I contact?

A: Further questions from Immigrant Visa applicants living in Denmark and Norway can be directed to our customer service center.